Monday, July 28, 2008

Sunday Happenings

For those of you who don't know, Drew and three other fellows are in a bluegrass band called Standing Ground. They have been playing together for over 10 years I believe and even put out a CD right before Drew and I met (~6 years ago). With everyone getting married and getting jobs, they haven't played much in the past few years but this Wednesday night they were asked to play at Mt. Vernon Baptist Church along with Aunt Molly. With an impending engagement, they decided practice would be prudent so everyone came over last night for a pot luck dinner and practicing.
Right before everyone got here, Drew stepped out on the porch and spied two fawns in our backyard munching on some vegetation. Of course, he came inside and gathered us up. We had a great time watching these beautiful creatures. Drew was calling to them to get them to come up closer (they obliged) and Mary Fran began to imitate him...too cute! We have some video on our digital camera but have to figure out how to get the sound to work. Hopefully, tonight Drew and I can figure it out together and I can post it.

Evie, being a budding musician, decided she needed to play with the guys while they were practicing. She was out there from the get-go and really did well on her fiddle. She would sing along with them, tap her foot, and really got into the music. This is a great shot Molly took of Eves putting rosin on her bow. Drew said if she wants to, she is welcome to play with them Wednesday night! Again, I have video but have to figure out how to get it on You Tube and then on our post.
Another great shot from Aunt Molly of Evie holding LeeAnne. Mary Fran was of course here as well but she and Ruthie were more interested in reading books which they brought out on the deck one by one. :) MF did play the fiddle some when Evie was done but had to put it on the ground as she hasn't quite figured out how to put it under her chin yet. You know, there's nothing better than listening to good bluegrass on your deck at the "shank of the evening" (as my Paw Paw used to say) and sharing it with your family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Evie puts out her first bluegrass CD, picture number three (of her with her fiddle beside her) should be her cover shot...I love it! Aunt Molly is such a great photographer!!

Anonymous said...

I agree, Daphne! Molly IS great photographer!! That is the cutest picture of Evie putting rosin on her violin/fiddle!! It could be in a photo contest!! Great job, Molly!
Love, MeMe/Debbie

One of Us said...

Well, I was going to say something about the pic but it looks like I've been beaten to the punch! Seriously, that picture is absolutely incredible!!

Anonymous said...

Well, everyone is just too sweet! Such kind words...but I think we all know that it is the cute little girl AKA: Evie who makes the picture! Thanks for letting me use your camera, Fran!

Kerri Roberts said...

Ok, so I;m not in the fam, but I was going to say that I hope you are planning to blow that picture up and display it in your home!