Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bucky, Evie, and Joey

These are the names of the deer that live around our house. Drew has named one, Evie the other two. Sunday morning we saw the young buck that lives near our house as we were leaving for church. He was right at the end of our drive and leaped back into the brush on our property as we drove by. Drew said, "Look girls, it's Bucky!" That was the first time he was named and it has stuck. Then, Monday afternoon the girls and I were headed over to Grandmama and Granddaddy's when we saw a beautiful doe right in the middle of the road. We watched her for a little while and then she, too, headed back into the woods. A little ways down the road, Evie said, "Mommy, that doe's name that we saw back there...her name is Evie. I'm going to name her Evie just like my name!" As Drew said last night, only our daughter would name a deer after herself. Tonight Drew and I were out on the front porch when I saw another doe at the end of our drive. Drew went in to get Evie to show her as we had just put them down. By the time they got back outside, she had wondered out of sight a little but we found her down at our mailbox. She was quite comfortable with us watching her and headed over across the street to eat the apples that have fallen from our neighbor's tree. Evie remarked, "She's beautiful!" and then, "Mommy, that's Joey. She's smaller, she's not Evie." Quite perceptive for a 3 year old as this doe was a little smaller than the one we saw earlier this week.
I didn't get any pictures this time but feel sure another opportunity will present itself. It is such a blessing to live out here with all of this wildlife and allow our children to experience it first-hand!

No comments: