Evie: "What all we doing tomorrow, mommy?"
Mommy: "Well, after the Farmer's Market we'll come home and while y'all are taking a nap, daddy is going to his friend's wedding." (It's during the girl's naptime, so I'll be staying home w/ them)
E: "Why is he going to a wedding?"
M: "One of his good friends is getting married and he's going to support him and celebrate with him."
E: "Oh."
M: "Then, when y'all get up we're going to the park..."
E: gasp, smiling
M: "For a party."
E: gasp, smiling
M: "Do you know who's party?"
E: "RUTHIE'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!!"
M: "That's right, Eves!"
E: "Oh, mommy, I have to go to my room and get my favorite doll to give to Ruthie for her present! I'll be right back!"
Off she went to her room returning with a bear she had gotten for Christmas and a CD to give to her as well. She said, "We can wrap it after lunch, mommy!" I said, "We sure can, Evie, and that is very unselfish of you and shows Ruthie you love her. Mommy and daddy are proud of you and so is God." She just smiled and said, "Can I put the blueberries on the plates?"
I was struck by this act of selflessness that was completely unprovoked. I find myself holding on to "my things" all too often when that is not what Christ modeled for us nor would He have us demonstrate that. John 13:34-35 says, "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." We are in the business of making little disciples in our home but I am constantly reminded of how the Lord uses our little ones to disciple me.
"Thank you, Lord, for the precious little hearts you've allowed us mold. Please mold me continually to demonstrate your character to them."
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that, Fran. How sweet is that?! Y'all have done a wonderful job in teaching your girls to be selfless and for precious Evie to demonstrate it in such a caring and unselfish way is a wonderful example of that. That really touches my heart! I can see her doing that now!! Great job, "Evester"! I love you! MeMe
Post a Comment