Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hosanna!

This Christmas Drew blessed me with a copy of Andrew Peterson's newest CD, "Resurrection Letters: Volume 2." No, there is not a Volume 1 yet but he said he was working on it in the concert we went to in December. Anywho, I have loved listening to his songs for the beautiful composition and mostly for the depth of songwriting. The second song on his CD is entitled "Hosanna." In this song he describes his shortcomings (and those of most of us) and cries "Hosanna" meaning "God save us." I was listening to this song the other day in the car and was struck again by the victory we have in Jesus. Now, before you start breaking out into the old hymn, read and absorb these words from the bridge of the song:
You have crushed beneath Your heel the vile serpent
You have carried to the grave the black stain
You have torn apart the Temple's Holy Curtain
You have beaten Death at Death's own game
Hosanna!
I get chills typing those words right now. There are times I feel so defeated and beat down. I feel as though I carry the weight of the world and I am gasping for air. I feel as though there may be no way out, but wait...I am a believer of Jesus Christ and, therefore, the Holy Spirit dwells within me. My Savior has beaten the very things that attempt to hold me down and I am no longer subject to them because of His sacrifice. He heard the Israelites cries and He hears mine and there is certain victory! What blessed Truth during this season.
"But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all...Out of the anguish of His soul He shall see and be satisfied; by His knowledge shall the Righteous One, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and He shall bear their iniquities." Isaiah 53:5-6, 11

"There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post Franny Bug, I was very encouraged to read it. Great thougts and writing.