Ernie was a somewhat quiet, unassuming man who went with the flow. Upon further knowledge of him, one easily saw that he seemed quiet but was quite passionate. A tireless volunteer and worker, he looked every bit of 10 years younger than his physical age. Paw Paw was very dedicated and loyal and you couldn't help but have a smile on your face when he was around. He loved his children and grandchildren and it was such a pleasure to watch him get on the floor and play with his great-grands or read countless books to them without tiring.
You see, both of my grandfathers passed away when I was 15 years old and within 3 months of each other. My Granddaddy (dad's father) was much older and had been having TIA's (mini strokes) for quite some time. Unfortunately, I did not know him as he truly was this side of Heaven. My Paw Paw (mother's father) was a hoot! Quite the mischievous fellow and a kid himself. Oh, the stories of my Paw Paw! I realized after Drew and I married just how much I missed my grandfathers and Ernie really helped fill that void (Grandad Petrey was far gone with Parkinson's when we married).
We asked all the soon-to-be grandparents and great-grandparents what they wanted to be called when we were pregnant with Evie. Ernie told us, "I want to be called Paw Paw because that is what my children called my father." When I heard that, my heart lept with joy because my Paw Paw had meant so much to me. Our children feel the same way about theirs.
Ernie's life was one of great example. He didn't preach to you, although he could, but rather modeled a sacrificial and giving life. I miss him dearly but do rejoice in the fact that we did not lose him but will just miss him for a time. We are all blessed to have known such a man.
2 comments:
So true! I miss him so much. i'm so thankful for the 20 years he was in my life.
Karen
My sentiments exactly! Although I only knew Ernie for a short time, I came to love him as well. We was a good man and will be sorely missed by lots of people! I only wish I had been able to get to know him even better! Love MeMe
Post a Comment