Mrs. Olive LaRoche passed away early this past Friday morning. She was 102 (and a half) and full of life and in good health up until about 3 months ago. Her passing was not necessarily a surprise to me as I had talked with her daughter-in-law, Frances, a couple of weeks ago but was a very tough pill to swallow nonetheless.Mrs. Olive came into my life at a very crucial point and I saw then and see even more now God's complete hand in it. I had always heard about "Mrs. Olive" from my Grandmama Goodman (dad's mom). Mrs. Olive and Grandmama were lifelong friends even though Mrs. Olive, her husband, and son had moved from Hollywood, SC to Ninety-Six, SC when their son was young. Although I had never met her, the mention of her name always brought a smile to my face. (I am the only granddaughter on my dad's side of the family (from 4 sons) and my Grandmama and I were especially close.)
About 2 months before Grandmama passed away in October of 2001, Mrs. Olive was able to come and visit her in Columbia. As Grandmama related to me, they had a wonderful time talking and reminiscing and it did her heart a world of good to see her friend again. As she was leaving, Grandmama told me, "Olive turned around at the door and gave me one last hug and 'See you later' (Mrs. Olive did not like goodbye's). I believe that was the last time I will ever see her this side of Heaven. I don't know if it will be me or her that will be called Home but I believe that was the last time." She was right but with those words formed a bridge that would connect our lives here on earth.
After Grandmama's funeral, I was standing outside Calvary Baptist Church in Hollywood talking to a couple of my aunts and uncles before going to the cemetery for the burial. I looked over and saw this older woman who was just full of life talking to my other aunts and uncles. I knew instantly it had to be Mrs. Olive.
"Excuse me, are you by any chance Mrs. Olive LaRoche," said I.
"You must be the girl. I knew I had to meet Evelyn's girl before I left today," said she.
Once the burial was over and people were once again dispersing, I remembered I hadn't said goodbye to Mrs. Olive. I went looking for her only to have her find me. She said, "We were about to leave but I told them I had to come and see you. It's just like the last time I saw Evelyn when I was told to go back and give her one more hug. I was told that I needed to see you before we left." There started a most beautiful and glorious friendship.
I was on my OB/GYN rotation in Beaufort, SC at the time but told her when I came back to Charleston for my end of rotation test I would call so we could visit (she lived on John's Island with her son and daughter-in-law). I'll never forget that first visit with her. It was like sitting next to my Grandmama. Grandmama's passing had left quite a void in my life because she was the last of my grandparents to pass but mostly because she had been such a source of wisdom, strength, and safety in my life. God knows exactly what we need and He provided beyond measure.
That day we talked all about her and Grandmama's friendship, what my dad and uncles were like growing up (trouble), and so many other things. I found out that when she was 93 there was a mix up at the DMV and her driver's license had been revoked and to reinstate it she had to go and take the driving test. Now, Mrs. Olive had been driving since she was 13, had never had to take a test, and had never gotten so much as a speeding ticket. She complied, however, and when the test was done the examiner told her, "Mrs. LaRoche, I have tried to find a reason not to pass you but I just can't find one. Congratulations, your license will be renewed." That day for lunch she, Mrs. Mott (Frances' mother), and myself went down the road a piece to eat at a restaurant. Mrs. Olive drove.
Throughout the nine years of our friendship she has been there to hear me long for a husband, seen him brought to me, the birth of 3 children, and the announcement of a fourth. She also has given me wisdom, perspective, and most of all laughter. To say she was a character would be an understatement. Active until the end, she did decide not renew her license and sell her car at 99 years of age, I believe. The consolation was her son, Tom's, golf cart that she was able to drive around their property to feed the dog and check on the horses and garden. We visited as often as we could and always looked forward to them, especially when she chauffeured us in the golf cart.
Mrs. Olive's passing leaves another void in my life but I know I am a much better person for having known her. Her love for life and laughter has always been and continues to be contagious. Although I miss her dearly I know that this is not the end. I will see her again and this is only "See you later."
2 comments:
Fran, what a beautiful testament to Ms. Olive. I know how much she meant to you. You wrote it so beautifully. It brought tears to my eyes and it also brought back some wonderful memories of your Gramdmomma Goodman. I know that you brought a lot pleasure and love to Ms. Olive's life here on earth. I love you, Mom
Fran, You should start writing your first book - "Faith in the Mountains". You are blessed with a wonderful talent. Your tribute to Mrs Olive was heart warming. We love you and yours. Aunt Jan/Uncle Grayson
Post a Comment