Friday, February 5, 2010

Stream of Consciousness

I saw this on a blog that I like to follow and thought that tonight this would be the best way to "organize" my thoughts (if you can call it that). Basically, it's just rambling. Here goes...

Got lots of snow and ice last night and today. It's still going. Not the 30" the DC area is getting but still the fourth major winter storm we've had since Dec. 18. I had to fight dread last night for the impending ice and come to terms with the fact that the ice storm over Christmas affected me a lot more than I realized. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who helped me realize that last night and asked one question that helped me get it all out, "Why do you think it affected you so much?" I pushed through when it was going on and wanted to keep a positive outlook and even temperament for the children but then never stopped to process it afterwards. We were warm and well fed and (praise be) were able to move in with the Petrey's and not have to hotel hop for four days. It was tough because MF had a stomach virus which required me to wipe her down more than once with baby wipes (which hurt her very irritated skin) and I couldn't give her a bath for over 24 hours. None of us slept the best and it broke my heart to hear our girls say, even thought they LOVE being at G'mama's and G'daddy's, "Mommy, I really want to go home." Now it's over and dealt with.

The Lord has been faithful to keep our power on the whole day long as well as increase the snow total which effectively decreased the ice total. I am also thankful that we are very much more prepared this time around due to my husband's know-how. Along with the kerosene heater and plenty of kerosene (always on hand here) we have a camping stove with plenty of propane, paper plates, plenty of food, two hurricane lanterns (along with candles and flashlights), a bathtub full of water along with 40+ gallons of water downstairs.

Had a good day at home. Drew was able to be home with us all day which is always a treat. Had a great time after supper tonight playing Steven Curtis Chapman's "Dive" on YouTube and dancing around the house as a family. Those are good memories to make. Watched a great movie as a family tonight, Hallmark's "A Dog Named Christmas." Would highly recommend it. Girls got a little scared when the mountain lion came into the picture but we talked them through it and it was a great chance to reinforce how Daddy and, more importantly, God protects us. This movie does not have a sad ending.

Ward threw up 3 times today. Had goldfish and a few animal crackers for dinner and has kept that down. No fever, we really think it is due to his runny nose draining to his stomach due to his teeth coming in. There is at least one incisor trying to make its way into the world. He has had a MUCH harder time with teeth than either one of the girls. Maybe it's a "boy thing." I have enjoyed the extra "snuggle time" with my wiggle worm.

On a lighter note, he stood up by himself in the middle of the floor today and took several steps to Drew's stool. He then did this several more times over the course of the night. I have to say that I am surprised it has taken him this long to get his confidence up (he really seemed ready to take off at 14 months after taking some independent steps over Thanksgiving). He is so active and so much like Evie that I thought he'd be running at 9 months (Evie walked at 12). Guess that's just how it goes!

I have many ideas for blog posts and many half written ones floating around in my head. Even at 13 weeks (technically into the 2nd trimester) I am still pretty tired and have taken advantage of the children's naptime to have one myself. Think I'll write them down by topic to organize and then work down the list.

So ready for some ground that's able to be travelled so I can run again. I need the mental focus and hard earned sweat. Snow and ice are not necessarily a runner's friend. It will come, though, it will come. Thankfully, MaMaw's stationary bike downstairs is a good replacement for now. Each day brings us closer to spring.

Well, now you've had a glimpse into my mind. Drew says it's a scary place. I would have to agree. You may not come back, then again you might. Hope you do.

No comments: