Last week was a tough week. I'd say probably the toughest for me since we got married. Monday, Evie, Ward, and myself started with a cold. That morning I started the older three children on Olive Leaf to try to shorten the duration/keep MF from getting sick. Monday night Ward was up 3 times, I think, and Mary Fran twice. Oh, and our previously quiet new dog decided to start whining and yelping that morning about 5. Drew left Tuesday morning for training in Charlotte and would be staying overnight. Ward had started coughing so I started him on the oral steroids for 5 days (we started the inhaled ones Monday). We have found that when the weather dramatically changes and Ward gets a cold/runny nose if he starts coughing we'd better jump on it quick or he'll be wheezing quick. I was headed downhill physically as well. We had a normal day except for the sleet that afternoon and evening that turned to a good 4 inch snow throughout Wednesday. Ward was again up a few times Tuesday night due to coughing and the steroids (can't imagine what it would've been like if there was no humidifier). Wednesday was the worst for me as my throat hurt so bad I needed to talk very softly and was losing my voice. I "broke down" that morning and told the kids we were not going to have school but have "games and reading books" day. They loved it. MF started with a runny nose. Drew got home a little before bedtime for the children. Thursday everyone seems to be on the upswing except Mary Fran and Cade is also showing signs of sickness despite trying to make sure the kids stayed out of his face. We have "game day" again on Friday as I am quite tired from sickness and multiple children getting up at night multiple times on every night that week but one. I know I'm spoiled...our children sleep through the night between 8 and 12 weeks old and are pretty hard sleepers so getting up at night is not something we deal with here. It was taking its toll. Drew starts not feeling well on Friday. The weekend here gave more time to sleep in a little and today everyone is really getting better if not all better.
Now, do I sound like a complainer or do I sound like a complainer? It was a tough week as I said and I got to the end of my rope several times but I have learned something. Not something incredibly profound but something I constantly need to learn..."It is what it is." How's that for spiritual, huh? :) I have learned that, again, it's not about me. It would be nice to be able to be "taken care" of when I'm sick but life in this house doesn't stop. Practically, I can take advantage of naptime for the children as naptime for me. It's OK to scale back on meals and school for a little bit because my children are always learning. Most importantly, they're learning how I handle myself when I am not at my greatest. They see if I'm going to meltdown or if I'm going to put on a smile and be joyful in all circumstances. Unfortunately, there were times I melted down last week but I was reminded Friday night to "come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." Saturday and Sunday were better because of this truth. I had to get to the end of MY rope to finally lay it all down. It was good to learn again and I am reminded of the patience of my Lord for teaching me this over and over with gentleness. Now, what was I saying about my children not listening the first time?
No comments:
Post a Comment