Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Man

He's been gone since Tuesday to Seattle on business. He got back last night, well, early this morning. He's very much been missed. There are some that might say, "Holy Cow, you were by yourself for four days with four kids! That would wear me out!" I can understand that comment but have to tell you that really hasn't been hard. While the children have missed their daddy, we've enjoyed our time together and they have been well behaved. No, it's not the workload that's been tough, it's been being with out my best friend. I know that sentiment is said a lot when talking about a spouse but it is much more than sentiment here. Drew truly is my best friend, my confidant, the person I want to be with when I want to be by myself.
Now, please don't misunderstand me to say that we have had a flawless over 7 years together. There have been ups and downs as with any relationship, especially marriage. With the very short amount of time between our meeting and engagement (2 1/2 months) there were some that wondered if we'd really make it! :) However, neither one of us want to settle for a "normal" marriage or status quo. We want nothing less than everything God intended marriage to be and that means continually putting the other before ourselves. That is not easy especially in this society that says, "Please yourself. You deserve it. You've earned it and you deserve it now!" I have had to learn much about just what serving is and laying down what I may perceive about what I "deserve." It's not been easy but I have seen depth in our marriage already that you just don't see everyday.
You know, my Grandmama Goodman told me once that marriage is not 50/50. A lot of times, she said, it's 60/40 or 70/30. "Sometimes you'll be giving 70% and sometimes you'll be receiving 70%," she told me. "The way to have a wonderful marriage is to try to out serve each other. Do that and it'll be a marriage better than you ever imagined." As usual, she was right.

1 comment:

Chris and Amy said...

Sweet message! A wonderful marriage is truly a blessing. I think the goodness is your spouse is magnified when you have children. Fran, you and I have found wonderful partners. Praise God! Chris and I view marriage as 100/100, give 100% of yourself, 100% of the time.