Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Next Step

As I mentioned before, Monday was the day we were embarking on Ward's potty training. To be honest, the day was a little off from the start. You see, I was up most of the night Thursday night with a stomach bug, was OK during the day Friday, and then was up again several times Friday night. That was the end of it but the loss of sleep finally caught up with me Sunday evening and I did not want to wake up Monday morning. To add to it, Drew started with it right before heading out to work Monday and ended up staying home. We were glad to have him with us for the day but hated it for him. Nonetheless, I sent the girls to their room to play for a while so I could really concentrate on teaching Ward before Cade needed to nurse.
I got him "juiced up" with straight juice in his juice cup (they usually get water) and a juice box (a very special treat here). We practiced running to the potty, pulling our pants down, sitting, getting up, and pulling said pants back up. He did really good! The first time was in the potty but I helped that along by having him sit for a good while when I thought it was about time. He was really proud. The rest of the day he went three times all in his training pants. He was aware of it and we practiced running to the potty to make it in time. By the end of the afternoon, I was just exhausted from the weekend and wasn't sure if it was "clicking" for him yet. He's just under 2 and I don't want to push it if he's not ready. I did end up putting the diaper back on him and letting it go. We do have a positive development but you'll have to read below to get it...
Big boy on the potty!
Proud of those pants
Big muscles (and belly!)
So today I went to get the Wardster up from his nap. He saw his potty and said he needed to go. I took his diaper off and sat him on the potty. He sat there a while and I went to go get snacks ready. Then I heard it...grunting. I looked over and heard, "Done!" Looked in the potty and there was some nice #2 from the boy. Way to go, Ward! As tempted as I was to go put the training pants back on, I knew we were having some friends over for lunch for Ward's BD tomorrow and were going to be out of the house most of the day Thursday. I'll try again on Friday and see if it'll take. We'll see!
After dinner, Daddy was looking through his scope at a squirrel in the woods. Ward immediately got his gun and had to go out with his daddy. Like father, like son...

No comments: