Monday, January 18, 2010

Blessings Underfoot

I have struggled for the past several days over whether or not to blog about this particular incident. I wanted to make sure that my motivation was not to brag or boast about my children or give the impression that my children are perfect. So often I find that if I really stop and think about why I'm saying something good about my children, my heart (at least in some part) is wanting to puff myself up and elevate other's perception of me as a person and/or parent. After much soul searching and digging out any selfish ambition, I decided to blog on this. My intention is not to boast in myself but to boast in what the Lord is doing in a vibrant little heart:

Last Wednesday I had an appointment with our midwife, Carrington. The time was during nap/restime so my mother-in-law, Karen, came out here to stay with the children. After my appointment, I had a few errands to run so when I got back Ward and Evie were already up. Imagine my surprise when I come in to find the mop bucket upstairs with the living room floor drying along with Evie and Karen flitting about dusting various pieces of furniture in the living room/dining area. I asked what was going on and little Eves answered, "We were cleaning for you, mommy. I didn't want you to have to do it because you sometimes don't feel well. I just wanted to do it for you." I looked up at Karen and she smiled and said, "Yes, Evie asked me to help her clean so you could rest and not have to do it." Tears filled my eyes as I saw a tangible expression of selflessness from my Eves.
We have been trying to teach and demonstrate unselfishness and consideration for others in our home (we don't always hit the mark) and there are days where I just don't think any of it is sinking in. However, that day the Lord graciously allowed me to see a glimpse of Evie's heart and what He alone is working in it. I am ever so thankful for that work.

2 comments:

Mary said...

That melted my heart, how sweet of Evie!

Anna Morrison said...

So sweet of her. Enjoy!