Friday, October 2, 2009

Wisdom

I was reading Proverbs 2 to the girls this morning (and explaining it to them) and it just really spoke to what has been going on in my head and heart lately. Solomon is, once again, imploring his son to listen to him and desire wisdom along with laying out the reasons why wisdom is so essential. I desire wisdom!!! These past few weeks I have longed more than ever to understand more than just the surface or even a couple of inches below. I long to understand deep spiritual truths and allow that and that alone to be the guiding force in my life no matter the reaction of those around me. I want to impart that to our children and use any wisdom I have been given to be a blessing to my husband and others around me. There have been those in my life in years past who thought I was "wise" but let me tell you right now any of that was the wisdom of man. It may have seemed "good" on the surface but was really just from experience and not from the eternal wisdom that comes from understanding God's Word.
I want that.
Before I began reading to the girls, I was explaining to them what the book of Proverbs is all about. We talked about Solomon and how he was King David's son and they remembered David and Goliath. We then talked about how Solomon asked God for wisdom (1 Kings 3) and how and why God gave it to him. I was reminded again that all I need is to ask and read His Word with a pure heart and He will grant me wisdom. Not for my sake or my glory but for His alone.
"Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds praise him according to his excellent greatness! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!" Psalm 150:1-2, 6

1 comment:

Ashley Roy said...

I too find myself lately with this same burning desire!!! I'm so thankful for people like you who can put into words what I cannot : ) Thank you for this!!!