We had one of those moments today...don't you just love 'em? We had a "light bulb moment" with Evie and Mary Fran. Our church has partnered with a church in Kenya called New Hope Fellowship Church for both prayer and monetary support. The pastor there, Lucas Obanda, is friends with one of our members, Clarke.
Drew and I both want our children to know that the church is much bigger than just our Fellowship here or even in the American church. With that in mind we decided to do a unit study on Kenya a couple of months ago and I e-mailed Pastor Obanda to get more information on where exactly they are in Kenya and more specific needs in their church and community. One of the things he mentioned was the drought and subsequent worsening of famine they were experiencing. At that time they had not had rain in two months (it's been four months now) which did not allow any crops to grow. Therefore, people could not work in the farms they were used to to get a nominal amount of money nor could they feed their own families with their own crops. He related to us that livestock were also dying presenting increased hunger among the people as well as increased health concerns. When I read this to our children Evie immediately said, "Mommy, we need to pray for them." I told her we certainly did and we have prayed specifically for rain and food for them at every meal and in the evenings.
We received an e-mail last night through Clarke from Pastor Obanda telling us of large amounts relief foods they were able to purchase and distribute very recently and also of a week's worth of rain allowing those families with seeds to plant! When I told the children about the e-mail this morning they both smiled and Evie said, "God answered our prayer. Mommy, we need to keep praying!" "Yes we do, sugar, yes we do."
It was so wonderful for this mother's heart to see God minister to his child by showing her He was listening to her and His faithfulness in answering prayer. It has increased both Evie and Mary Fran's fervor for prayer, and specific prayer at that. Praise be to the Lord!
I would encourage you to pray for New Hope Fellowship in Kenya. You can click on their name to go to their website. Pastor Obanda, his wife, Jane, and their five children have been tirelessly ministering to their fellow Kenyans for decades. We are also thankful for "light bulb moments" in our children's hearts as well as reminders in our own.
1 comment:
HOW SWEET!! Y'all are raising some sweet, thoughtful children. I love 'em so much!!! Love, MeMe
Post a Comment