Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our Garden 2010

We have planted our garden!!! With the weather up here in Spring being so unpredictable, Drew said many "old timers" say to wait until after May 15th to plant. The Farmer's Almanac showed that to be true this year and so we have waited. We have had some frost a couple of nights so it's good we've waited. Anywho, the chil'uns and I went yesterday afternoon to pick out some vegetables. We are doing a little smaller scale this year seeing as how I'm getting bigger by the day and Cade should be arriving when the canning of beans will most likely be commencing. Thankfully, Mamaw has offered to plant her garden mostly with beans and can a lot for Daphne and myself. What a blessing!
Here we have two zucchini plants on the front right and middle and one squash on the front left. We were so surprised at how huge these plants get and wanted to give them plenty of room. On the back we have two different "snacking" tomatoes. Evie and I will probably be the only ones eating but we'll try to entice MF and the Wardster.
Our girls with the four broccoli plants we're going to try. We love to eat some broccoli so this will be fun! We're going to do the rest of this bed with some beans to just eat on and, if there's room, I want to plant some echinacea (coneflower). We're also going to do some leaf lettuce in our front bed. I've got my list of herbs to plant ready and am going to gather at some friends of ours farm tomorrow morning and will probably get a few more at the Farmer's Market Saturday. I tell ya, after this winter, it sure is so nice to get out and get in some dirt!

No comments: