Thursday, December 23, 2010

Weekly Recap

That seems to be the theme lately...weekly recaps. Seeing as there's much still to do during the kid's rest time I will cut to the chase. Last Saturday we got together with Mamaw's side of the family for a casual meal and the exchanging gag gifts. It is always so fun and there are a couple of gifts that keep making repeat appearances.
Three pretty girls!
Mamaw opened the wig. This is one that just won't die. Actually, I think it may die this year as it's getting a little funky...
Dus wanted to try it before its retirement, though.
Uncle Marshall and Aunt Kris always give a gift or two the their great nieces and nephews. Evie got a horse puzzle along with the promise of going down to Mooresville after the first of the year to hang out at a working horse ranch and ride some horses!
LeeAnne with her new rain boots...and all the girls in Grandmama's dress-up clothes.
Mary Fran got some Brain Quest cards. Ward got a fold up fire station and Cade a fleece blanket Kris always makes for each new addition to the family. It was a nice and relaxing afternoon and, as always, so much fun.
Yesterday was a full day. In the morning we went up to Grandmama and Aunt Molly's for their annual Christmas brunch and ornament exchange. We all got beautiful ornaments and stuffed ourselves with yummy food. Then, once we got home, I prepared to cook my first turkey. I was a little nervous as I have to admit I've never even cooked a whole chicken. As I told Karen, though, if I'm going to teach my girls I've got to learn! It was quite easy as I just followed the baking directions on the outside after rubbin' him down with some EVOO, salt, and pepper. It was also great to have an anatomy lesson with the girls after taking out the insides!
The turkey was part of a big meal for us as we had "Christmas" with our children and each other. We found that after all the presents at G'mama and G'daddy's on Christmas Eve and then from Meme on Christmas Day the carefully chosen presents from Daddy and Mommy get lost. Therefore, we started last year opening present with our immediate family a couple of days before Christmas.
An extra special treat was that Uncle Grayson and soon to be Aunt Jessica joined us. They came up for the night to go skiing today. It was so nice to have some time with them!
The table and the turkey!
Here's Evie with her new Bible from us.
One of Ward's "big" gifts was more train tracks and pieces. He loved it!
One of MF's presents was "On the Banks of Plum Creek" by Laura Ingalls Wilder audio CD.
Some books Ward got. We love books!
And our beautiful Christmas tree!

No comments: