Monday, August 2, 2010

Ward and Status Update

This past weekend we had some monumental events. Let me backtrack...
We had been working with Evie to stop sucking her fingers during rest time and at night for a while. We thought it was a done deal several months ago until Evie told me out of the blue recently that she still did suck her fingers sometimes when we weren't around. We talked about it and I asked her to think of a way she thought we could help her with this. She told me last Monday, "Mommy, if I don't suck my fingers at all for five days and nights, can I take some of my piggy bank money and go with daddy to the store to get a doll." Sounded good to me, so we embarked.
Mary Fran has also had some trouble recently keeping completely dry during the day. She would just get so engrossed in whatever she was doing that she would tee tee a little in her panties. No major accidents but this was not pleasant. Once she heard about what Evie was doing, she asked if she could do the same if she kept her panties completely dry for 5 days. We shook on it.
Well, 5 days (and nights) came and went with narry a finger sucked or drop in the pants. ;) So, on Saturday we headed to Kmart (they have a better toy selection around here) for the girls to get their prizes and also so we could get Ward's BD present that I had found there. Mary Fran picked out a small "Ariel" doll and Evie decided she wanted a miniature "My Little Pony" set. They each had enough money for said items and paid for them with great pride. Now for the interesting part...
Drew had Ward in the cart and I was walking back and forth with the girls trying to steer them to wise purchases. :) I had found a whole "cowboy set" for Ward but when we got there Saturday it was no longer there. Not to worry, though, because Drew found the play gun section right there and he and Ward had a BIG time! I kept hearing, "They have an over under shotgun! How sweet! See, the thing is should we get him the rifle or shotgun? Wait, this one has pump action!" Then a few seconds later, "Honey! Look at these 'Craftsman's First Tools!' They have a blow torch!" He told me that this was going to be a lot of fun for both he and Ward (and Cade later on). It was pretty neat to watch as Ward was loving trying out all the guns and getting instruction from daddy. In the end we decided on the over under shotgun to give him for his birthday.
In the parking lot, G'mama called and asked if she and G'daddy could take the girls on an impromptu trip to Hickory for the afternoon. We agreed and headed up there to switch car seats. Of course, the new gun had to be brought in and shown to everyone and it did not last in the box. Drew had it out for Ward to play with (which he LOVED) and told me, "We can get him something else for his birthday. It's almost hunting season and this will get him used to it all." There was nothing more to say. :) So, without further ado, let me introduce you to the newest member of the Drew Petrey Family Gun Collection...

He's so proud! He's already learning gun safety which is never a bad thing!

Here he is showing it off. When I suggested he go shoot some squirrels, he is heading off to the door to the back deck. You see, he's seen his momma go out there on more than one occasion to provide some negative reinforcement through a BB gun to the squirrels that try to steal our birdseed from the bird feeder. Don't worry, I'm not sadistic and don't try to kill them but do let them know that we're not trying to feed them. Had to include this one from this morning. Every morning after breakfast, Ward has playtime (in the crib for right now) where I give him a puzzle or two and some books to "read" while I alternate having workbook time with Evie and Mary Fran. When I came to get him out today, he very proudly showed me all his books he had lined up. It was absolutely too much!

Sorry about the lack of pictures of Evie and Mary Fran. They weren't with us most of Saturday (we didn't know what to do with ourselves!) and we have just been around the house today. I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow and could've sworn Cade was going to make his debut before now. I can tell you that this is the first time in 4 pregnancies that I am very ready to have a baby. Before I was content to wait until whenever but as low as he's been and as big as I am this time around, it's time. He'll come when he's ready, I know, but I would be lying if I said I haven't prayed for the Lord to tell Cade to get things going. I go to Carrington tomorrow so we'll see if she can't strip my membranes, I'll go get some black licorice tea, continue to walk, and do whatever I can to start it. It would be neat for him to be born this Saturday, the 7th, on my grandmother's (dad's mom's) birthday. However, I'm not sure I can wait that long. Guess I don't have much choice, though, do I? :) Nonetheless, we'll try to post when we're headed in to keep everyone updated. Until then!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ward looks like such a big boy, how sweet!
Hang in there, i know the last weeks of pregnancy are tough! Landon actually came on his due date!