We are getting back into our routine now. Ward and I are exhausted. Let me explain...
As I mentioned in the previous post, there was a pollen haze over Columbia when we were there. We noticed on that Saturday night/Sunday morning that Ward was wheezing some. Seeing as how I had asthma as a child and vividly remember the feelings that go along with that sound, I puffed my Albuterol inhaler into Ward's face and that seemed to better his symptoms. We arrived home to no pollen haze but I was surprised to find out that the pollen index here was very high as well. Ward had some allergic symptoms (itchy, watery eyes and clear runny nose) Wednesday that cleared up after taking a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory. I noticed on Friday that he was coughing a little and thought he must have gotten a cold from the allergies especially since MF woke up with a slightly runny nose and mild cough on Saturday. Ward woke up slightly early from his nap Saturday and was coughing some more with a mild wheeze. After he and MF soaked in a vapor bath, he seemed a little better but his lungs still had a wheeze when I listened to them. I called our pediatrician (family friend) and he called in an Albuterol inhaler and spacer with a mask for our little 18 month old. My wonderful mother- and sister-in-law picked them up for us as they were already headed out this way. The Ward boy seemed better after his first dose and enjoyed a nice high. :) Mary Fran, Ward, and myself stayed home from a small family get together that night and had cereal during a carpet picnic and movie. Everyone went down between 7:30 and 8 with humidifiers running and we thought all would be well. Ward did wake up about 9:30 but his Albuterol and turning up the humidifier seemed to help. Then, about 11:30 it all hit the fan...
Ward woke up crying and we tried a few things to help him out. He threw up phlegm and was changed. I looked for retractions (using your extra chest and stomach muscles to breathe) and saw none. We finally brought him in our room to sleep and Drew got on the couch to give us more room. Five minutes later I called Drew into the room, told him he didn't sound good and I felt we ought to head to the ER. He got Ward's jacket on while I got my shoes, jacket, and pocketbook. Ward and I got in the car and headed the 15 minutes from our house to the hospital. That drive has never seemed longer and I was going 10 miles over the speed limit (hey, it was close to midnight and my child was not doing well). At midnight, we parked at the ER and went straight in where I told the fella at the front, "My son needs to be seen now. He's in respiratory distress." I have never seen a child go down that quickly. He was not turning blue yet but getting closer with every breath. They took us right back and started him on oxygen, oral steroids, and a nebulizer treatment. He seemed to improve some but they ordered another to try to open him up more. We went to X-ray. It looked like to me there was possibly a slight pneumonia but wasn't sure. We went back to the ER. Another breathing treatment and blood taken. He did well and was very brave. The boy was pretty proud of the Band-Aid he got, too. Another breathing treatment and he was doing much better but still had a lot of retractions. Pediatrician on call comes in and we are admitted. IV was started and they ended up having to put it in his left arm. He sucks his left thumb. He was not happy about that but cries himself to sleep on my chest. After getting some IV antibiotics just in case there was a pneumonia starting up, we're transferred to our room. After all paperwork is done, we fall asleep in the bed together. It was 4 AM.
After breathing treatments every 2 hours and some IV steroids, he is greatly improved by 7 AM but still having a lot of retractions and working hard to move air. The rest of the day went like this: IV steroids every 6 hours along with breathing treatments every 2 hours. Ward was pretty hopped up after every treatment, especially when there was an IV/breathing treatment combo. He ran it off in the room and we toured the floor more than a few times for the hour that he was high. Then, we both slept until the next breathing treatment. He pretty much plateaued after the noon and 2 PM treatments. Finally, after his 4 PM breathing treatment, his lungs started to sound some better. When the pediatrician came by, he told us that Ward's second X-ray that morning looked better but felt that since he was still retracting some we ought to stay another night.
We also got to see MaMaw a couple of times on Sunday as well as Grandmama, Granddaddy, and Aunt Molly. Drew and the girls came by in the the evening and boy, was Ward glad to see all three of them! We toured the floor in the wagon and played in the room. Ward had recently gotten IV steroids and a treatment so he was raring to go!
The boy loves to go get his and his sister's sunglasses out of my pocketbook. Yes, he went shirtless until we went home. And, no, I didn't get any pictures earlier than Sunday night because the batteries died in my camera and I forgot to tell Drew to send some when Daph brought stuff earlier in the day.
We had a diaper change and decided to let him run around like a true mountain boy. When he was in the wagon earlier, I asked him if he was going to share it with his sisters when they came. He gave me an emphatic "yes."
After a while, Ward and Eves decided they wanted to walk. Good idea as I wanted him really tired so that after his 8 PM breathing treatment, we could both crash. Worked like a charm.This would be Ward after steroids...
Our pediatrician, Dr. Lonas, took over on call Sunday night and even came by to see us. The thought was that he could probably go home on Monday if he continued to improve. If he plateaued again, we might have to rethink things.
Well, I am so glad to say that around 10 PM I noticed his respirations slow down to normal and his lungs sounded much better. At midnight, he had the motherload with IV steroids, yes, another breathing treatment, and antibiotics. The respiratory therapist (who we had also seen in the ER) was impressed with how much better he sounded. Back to sleep by 1 AM and by the early morning, it became clear that he had, in fact, turned the corner. We were discharged about 1 PM and home a little before 2. It was so good to be home.
Our big guy in the hospital crib. He went in there twice: once on Sunday for me to go to the bathroom and once Moday so I could take a shower. No way I was letting him stay in there if I didn't have to.We all slept well and are getting back to normal today. Ward continues to improve and the girls can't stop giving him kisses. I finally broke down yesterday on the way home and then again yesterday evening. It was tough to think back on it all and just realize how quickly he nosedived. All praise be to God that he is better and home and that prayers and petitions sent in Ward's name were answered. I also am extremely grateful to the family that I have here. The visits, bringing stuff to the hospital, dinner last night, and extra little treats sent were such a blessing. MaMaw, Karen, Winston, Molly, Uncle Bill, Halee, and especially Daphne thank you so very much. I am also so blessed to have an incredible husband who kept the fort held down and girls grounded through all of it. I love you so much, honey!
And with that I now have to say...that concludes our "little trip."
6 comments:
Yeah, let's not take another one of those...
So thankful the little man is better and you both are at home!!!
k
I'm so glad he is doing better!!! He is so cute!!!
Oh my word! I can only imagine how scary that must have been! It's a good thing you knew what to do! So thankful he's doing better and you are all back at home. : )
What an experience!! I didn't like it when you called and told me he was in the hospital! My precious baby boy!!! It brought me back a few years when Grayson was in the hospital for 2 weeks when he was 16 months old! I can certainly identify with what you went through! It is such a scary time and you want to take it all away from your dear little baby! I'm so glad Ward is doing better! I sure wish I could have come up there to be with y'all while you were in the hospital. I, too, am thankful that you are so blessed to have such a wonderful family up there. Take care of yourself, Frannie Bug! I love you! Mom/MeMe
What a tale! So, so, so very glad all turned out well! How merciful is the Lord!
Post a Comment