Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mrs. Olive

Mrs. Olive LaRoche is a very good friend of ours. She'll be 101 this September. Sound crazy? Maybe. Can I tell you that this woman has no health problems. She uses a cane to walk outside where the ground is a little uneven and just a few years ago had to get hearing aids but is perfectly fine otherwise. Mrs. Olive is one of our nearest and dearest friends.

Mrs. Olive and I got to know each other after my Grandmama's funeral. I had heard of Grandmama's very close friend for years but had never met her. When she passed away in October 2001, I finally got the chance to meet her. She was talking to my uncles outside of the church and I saw her from a ways away but knew instantly who she was. I introduced myself and we were friends instantly. At the time, I was on rotation in Beaufort but told her I'd call when my rotation was over and we'd have a visit. I did and the rest is history.

Unfortunately, in this day and age we're told that once someone gets to a certain age they are not "worth it" anymore. I am here to tell you it is not true. Mrs. Olive has brought so much joy and wisdom into not only my life but to Drew's and now to our children. She has a perspective that is priceless and has spoken many an encouraging and quite humorous word into my life. To learn from her and know her is a privilege beyond words. Thank you, Mrs. Olive, for your friendship.
Mrs. Olive's son and daughter-in-law own this beautiful horse named Dixie. On our way out, we took some corn cobs to her. Evie was all excited about it until she approached and then Evie decided to let Daddy feed Dixie. MF wanted to stay in the car. ;)

No comments: