Monday, August 1, 2011

Puttin' Up the Beans...

Yes, I know it's been 3 weeks since I last posted. The only reason I can offer is that it's been busy and I just haven't taken the time. Please forgive me. Moving on...

Last week we had some beans come in from a friend and off we went to canning them. Tuesday night Drew brought the beans home and Evie and Mary Fran set to stringing and breaking them after dinner. Drew and I picked up where they left off at bedtime and by the time we went to bed we had 3/4 of a bushel done. Wednesday morning after filling our tanks at breakfast, Evie went back to stringin' and breakin' while Ward and MF filled the jars with beans and I filled the jars with water and put the lids and rings on. The canning then commenced!

Once Evie got tired of stringing/breaking beans, she took over MF's job because...
...MF wanted to play restaurant.
She had definitely earned some playing time.

Never to miss a party, Cade was there for comic relief...and music.

By the end of the day we had 27 beautiful quarts of beans to put in the basement along with some for dinner that night.

We still have 2 raised beds of beans staged to come in at different times from our own garden. Some will be for eating and some for canning. However, I didn't can any last year because of Cade's imminent arrival and it has killed me to buy beans from the store. That will not be the case this year and any other year if I can help it! :)

1 comment:

Lizard Rae said...

Ok, I know that's a lot of work from days on the porch with my Granny Nell. BUT! Why does that look like so much fun!?