Monday, December 21, 2009

The True Tall Tale of the Coming of Christ

Last Wednesday, Drew, Molly, and myself packed up and headed down to the Charlotte/Mooresville area to go to Mecklenburg Community Church to once again attend the "Behold the Lamb of God" concert. This is the third year Drew and I have been, the first for Molly, and the first time Grayson and Jessica joined us. I blogged about it last year here...feel free to read it to get all the "logistics" of the concert.
The show was great as usual but this year there was something quite different. This year during the second hour when Andrew Peterson and the rest of the musicians played through the album there seemed to be a special sense of God's presence. I found myself moved by the music like never before. There was a burning of the lyrics into my heart and an experience of understanding more of the longing throughout the Old Testament for the coming of the Messiah, the Deliverer, and my longing for His glorious return now. I was humbled to be taken to a deeper understanding of His love, sacrifice, justice, and mercy. Oh, how I long to see my Savior face to face. That is not to say that I want to be absent from my husband, children, and family, however, I do long for Him to return and right the wrongs, take his rightful place on this earth, and send Death and Sin to their rightful place for all Eternity.
This Christmas we have seen both girls, especially Evie, understand more of what this time of year is all about and what we are celebrating. However, our teaching is purposefully not ending at Jesus being born. That is not the end of the story. The rest of the story is why He came, why He had to come. To die a violent, unjust, undeserved death on a cruel cross, alone, for my sin, Drew's sin, our children's sin, and the rest of those who He created in His own image's sin.
Last Wednesday, I was reminded not only of His birth but of His life and His great love for us. This is the only gift we've ever needed.

2 comments:

Just A Work In Progress said...

Beautifully written Fran and so very true. Merry Christmas!

Kerri Roberts said...

Yes, beautifully written! Thank you for the reminder and the reason for this season and every day we get to experience God's grace and love for us through Jesus Christ.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!