There is a Girl Scout Song that goes, "Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." I knew this to be true but really experienced it recently...
Two weekends ago we went down to the SC State Fair as I earlier. While we were there we got to see our friends Christy and Mike. Chris and I cheered together at The Citadel (No, we weren't cadets. That was when the female cheerleaders were from the other local colleges) and became really good friends at that time. She transferred up to App State, met my future husband, decided we would be a great couple, set us up, and the rest is history. I can't explain it but Chris and I always "linked up." Probably how we look normal on the outside but really just aren't once you get to know us. :)
While at the Fair we also got to see my lifelong friend, Nicole, and her family. Nicole and I met not too long after my dad became the manager of the Fair as her family had many food vending stands and their family just became our family. We've known each other since we were about 8 and although we didn't see each other but about once a year then and now even, she very much is a close friend and I would even go so far as to say like family.
The Sunday we got back from the Fair I went grocery shopping once the children were down. On the way, I called my good friend, Lauren, who I hadn't spoken to in longer of a time than I could remember. Lauren and I met in Organic Chemistry Lab first semester of our senior year at the College of Charleston. When we first started talking we realized that we went to the same church and I invited her to go to our small group with me. She did and that started quite a friendship. After college Lauren, myself, and another girl, Heather, lived together in a house for the two years I was in PA school. Lauren and Heather were the answer to my prayer from the time I entered college, "Lord, please bring me some friends who I can truly let my guard down around. Please, give me friends who will encourage me to be more like Christ." It was a long time coming but, as is always the case, God's timing was perfect. For the longest time, I never let my guard down around anyone because I knew what others "thought" of me and I didn't want to disappoint anyone. I learned in my friendship with those girls what real friendship is and what being "real" really is. The friendship with those girls took me deeper in my walk with Christ, prepared me beautifully for being "real" and "open" in marriage, and provided oh so many laughs and crazy memories. Lauren and I hadn't talked in probably two years due to her work schedule, my schedule, and many other things. However, talking to her that night was just like we had talked the day before. There is just something about having those people in your life who know where you've been, who you were then, and who you are now and have no further expectations. What a wonderful blessing.
As I have reflected on the "Fair weekend" I have seen the Lord show me once again where He's had me and where He's taking me. It was tough to move from my home state and start a new life in a town where I didn't know anyone...basically start all over. It's been an adventure and one I'm glad I had and continue to have. But, oh, how wonderful it is to have friends who are silver and gold.
1 comment:
Fran - I love your blog:-) What a great entry!
Post a Comment