Tuesday, March 6, 2012

This Just Ain't No Fun!

We are in an asthma fight. It started 10 days ago when we went to Columbia to visit. We know one of the "triggers" for Ward is dog hair/dander and both of my parents have dogs. However, we thought we had a good handle on his asthma and went on down Friday afternoon. We were back on Saturday night after Ward and I had been up since 2:30 that morning. Asthma attack.

Last week the girls and Cade came down with a cold but we thought Ward had escaped it and were grateful because any little cold goes straight to his chest. We found out Sunday night he hadn't. He awoke Monday morning at 1 am and he nor I slept much after that. I thought he was turning the corner late morning yesterday but when he got up from his nap yesterday afternoon and told me, "Mommy, I can't breathe," I knew no corner had been turned. He and I got to go to the after hours clinic at our pediatrician's office and Mr. Ward was treated to 3 back to back to back Albuterol nebulizer treatments with some improvement. As Dr. Zimmerman told me, he was right on the precipice of needing to be admitted but we'd try to let him make it at home. We were sent home with a nebulizer and Albuterol with instructions to do nebs every 2 hours throughout the night and recheck this morning. Well, it ended up needing to be every hour because he couldn't make it two. Oh, then he started running a fever. Did we have a pneumonia on top of everything else?

The office visit went well and his fever was down. We both felt he was doing better but Dr. Z still felt he was on the edge of needing a room at the hospital. After another neb treatment with improvement, negative blood test for viral pneumonia, and an unimpressive CBC we were allowed to go home with nebs every hour until his symptoms improved more and an increase in his oral steroids (I had already started them Monday afternoon). Let me tell you it ain't no fun! But it's good.

It's good because even in all the sleep deprivation, the Lord has poured out more and more grace to me and to Ward. It's good because I realize once again that our children are not mine but on loan and I must relinquish control to God who is good and loving and in perfect control. It's good because I'm drawn more into dependence on my Lord. And that's always good. The nebulizer we were given is a dog originally given the name Roscoe. Ward, however, thought he looked more like a John. His name is now John. Here he is getting his 9:30 treatment last night petting the only dog that won't cause an asthma attack. :) John was introduced to his brother and sisters this morning. He's a big hit.

Today he was given the mouthpiece for his treatment at the office as opposed to the mask. This is what he thought he needed to do with it. Stinker!

I am very glad to report that Wardy is continuing to improve. We already had an appointment with an allergist in Hickory for next Tuesday and it can't come quick enough.

Oh, did I mention Cade now has an ear infection? It's still good. It may not always be easy but it's always good.

No comments: