As we have done for the past couple of years, we take the month of December off from "formal" teaching. We're still actively learning, mind you, but it's not as structured. I have found it makes for a nice break and a much less stressful month. :)
This year I found a great book at the library called "Christmas Crafts and Customs Around the World" by Virginie Fowler. The countries include England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, the US, and several more. I really like the way it gives you an introduction to the history of Christmas customs in each country and then goes into instructions for crafts (or recipes) and a little history for each of those. It's written so that a 10-12 year old could do most things by themselves. I thought this would be interesting for all of us and decided to give it a shot for us.
The first country we studied was England and we made Pomander Balls (cloves stuck in oranges hung with ribbon). They smell heavenly! The kiddos had a really fun time making them. Did I say they smelled wonderful?
While studying England we also made Mincemeat Cookies (Ward was ready to read to himself by picture time). You just make a basic sugar cookie, roll it out and cut out circles, place filling in the middle, fold over, and seal the edges. It was fun trying to find mincemeat in Wal-Mart, let me tell you, but find it I did!
BeforeThe kids really liked them! I tried a bite and they weren't bad. Drew declined.
We also studied Germany (gingerbread and Advent). We made an Advent chain to count down the days until Christmas writing something special to do each day (pray for someone/something specific, make a craft, etc.). Last night was carolling in our "neighborhood." It was such a wonderful experience and showed me what a ministry our children have right here in our little corner of the world.
Holland was in there, too, with the wooden clogs. We didn't do something everyday as we had fun making gifts to give to friends and extended family but I have to say I learned a lot! Next year I think I'll get this book again and delve more into with our little ones when they can maybe understand a little more. For now, though, if you need some mincemeat come to my house. I got a big ol' jar just waitin' on ya!

No comments:
Post a Comment