There's been a lot going on here and I have to confess that I just haven't taken the time to update. So, without any further ado, let me catch up. :)
As I posted earlier, we have been reading "Stories of the Pilgrims" by Margaret Pumphrey and have really enjoyed it. Once we got to the stories of the pilgrims moving to Holland and their years there, we also read a book about Holland. It's such a fascinating culture and land. Evie told me she wanted some wooden clogs. :) One thing we discovered was that Holland produces a lot of dairy products, cheese in particular. One of the cheeses they're known for is Gouda cheese. Well, I certainly never knew that! I remembered a recipe mom used to make by wrapping a wheel of Gouda with crescent rolls and baking it. Once out of the oven she put strawberry preserves over top and served it with crackers. Yes, it is as good as it sounds. Well, we were going grocery shopping that same week and picked up some Gouda, crescent rolls, and crackers.
For snack that afternoon, I baked it up (after letting them all taste it "plain") and we served it with some of our homemade strawberry jam. Did the kids like it you ask?
We were going to save some for Daddy but it was such a hit that that just didn't happen. However, I had gotten a pretty big wedge of cheese and cut it in half to make more later. A couple of nights later the crescent wrapped Gouda accompanied our dinner. It was divine!
Here's to homeschooling!


No comments:
Post a Comment