Monday, July 12, 2010

Movin' Day

We've been busy. Really busy. Around the house. Most of last week was spent getting things ready for Saturday and also getting ready for Cade's impending arrival. Saturday was the culmination of it all. We switched the children's rooms. What was the nursery (Ward's room) has become the girls' room complete with new bunk beds for them. The girls' room has become Ward and Cade's room. This was a big undertaking, we knew it but were confident we could get it done in one day. We did but, oh, what a day! :)
I set to work as soon as the kids were dressed and feeding taking all the drawers out of the pieces of furniture that were to be moved and piling them in the den along with toys, etc. that were in the rooms and would be moving. Our den was a regular playroom, plus the drawers. :)
Aunt Molly came over to help in the morning so that Drew and I could concentrate on getting everything switched. We planned for them to be outside playing on the water table and Slip 'n' Slide but wouldn't you know that this Saturday a cold front came through and it didn't get above 72 until after lunchtime! I know, it was nice to have cooler temps but the Slip 'n' Slide didn't last long due to that fact. Aunt Molly and the kids had a great time nonetheless and we were ever so thankful for her help. Thanks favorite Aunt Molly!
Dustin came up to help Drew move the furniture because, you know, I'm not supposed to lift more than 20 pounds. ;) I was doing something and heard little voices. Then, I noticed the girls weren't anywhere to be seen. When I went into Ward's new room (the girls' old one) this is what I found. They told me it was their "hiding place." Looks good to me! And, yes, Evie is crossing her eyes.
Here are the new bunk beds. They're great and really sturdy but have quite a story to go along with them. They took quite a bit longer to assemble than we anticipated. Drew did most of the work (and did a bang up job) while I switched the closets, cleaned out stuff, put drawers back in place, and replaced books in bookcases. I did help him some and when we were almost done we realized that the slat that needed to be on the front of the bottom bunk was accidentally put on the backside of the top one. That realization hurt to say the least. Thankfully, Dus and Daph were having a pot luck grilling with all our family so we went down there for dinner and to take a much needed break from it all.
We were hoping the girls could sleep in their new beds Saturday night but it didn't happen due to our mistake. The kids all slept in Ward's room with MF on the floor in a sleeping bag. They had fun and, thankfully, the mistake didn't take nearly as long to fix as I thought it would. When the girls got up Sunday morning, they immediately went into their room to try out their beds. Here they are enjoying them!
Here are a few pictures of the switched rooms. I didn't take any "before" pictures, sorry. Ward and Cade's room has both the crib and twin bed. Ward will be moving to the twin bed and told me this morning he wanted to do it today, hence, the guard rail. More on that later.
A shot from the back of the room to the front.
Corner of the room. Had to keep the rocking chair!
Here are the girls in the bunk beds again but now we have pictures hung as you can see. That was yesterday's project.
On a side note, we purchased these bunk beds from Wal-Mart for $200 (on sale). They are very sturdy and well made as the reviews said they were. We also purchased the set of drawers to go under the beds (sold separately) to house the girls' non-hanging clothes and shoes. The whole set is really pretty and we are very pleased!
The vanity where the changing table was. The girls' room really turned out well. Actually, they both did and we're so excited! Evie told Drew Saturday morning that she was "deeply worried" about switching rooms but by the end of the day Saturday when the beds were really coming together I asked her if she was still worried and she said, "No, mommy, I'm excited now!" Glad to hear it, Eves!
In other news, Ward is now in a "big boy bed." I thought we'd wait until later this week to switch him over but this morning he kept running over to the bed patting it and asking to get up. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in there and take his nap in his "big boy bed" and the answer was an emphatic "YES!" Well, out came the guard rail and at nap time in went the Wardster. Can you tell he's pumped?
Here's the boy getting ready to go to sleep. He's still asleep now and hasn't attempted to get out. Of course, I told him not to and he's obeying. Way to go, Ward!
Alright, gotta tell this pretty funny story...
I knew I had overdone it on Saturday. I knew I would. That's just the nature of the beast when you're pregnant and doing what we did Saturday. Well, I forgot to take Tylenol that night before going to bed just to help with the soreness that had already begun to set in. I awoke at 1:30 am to go to the restroom (what else?) and slowly but surely got out of the bed. Problem was I couldn't straighten up. I hobble to the end of the bed all bent over and realize I won't be able to make it to the bathroom by myself. I call out to Drew and tell him the situation and that I'll need his help to make it the 6-7 feet from where I stood to the bathroom. As he's about to get out of bed, I try to straighten up again and am able to. After telling him it was OK, I hobble said 6-7 feet and promptly take some Tylenol. Oh, how I wish I could've videotaped that scene! It was hilarious!
We're all recovered now and enjoying the new arrangements. Things are getting back to normal and Cade is now welcome to come any time he wishes. Not that I can control that or anything. :) We'll be 36 weeks tomorrow and are in the home stretch. I'll try to update on that tomorrow or Wednesday. In the meantime, if you need a good laugh, just come back and read the above paragraph. You're welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a difference a day makes!! It looks great! The girls look so cute in their new beds and Ward looks adorable in his "big boy bed"!! He's just growing up way to fast! I can't wait to get up there and see it "in person"! Love to all! MeMe

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! i love your "hobbling" story!

k