Saturday, June 13, 2009

Toads, Slugs, and Yellow Jackets

We had a full Saturday...full of interesting animals and lots of work. Drew set to work in the yard today mulching with pine straw, mowing the yard, and building trellises in the garden for the beans and cucumbers. Here are a few snapshots...
Had to include this one from earlier in the week. I think they might weigh the same now. :) Doesn't his face look better?!?
While moving the locust logs lining our front flower bed I spotted this little fella hopping around. We had quite a bit of fun watching him.
Evie thought she might hold him but then reconsidered.
"Kiss me and I will turn into a handsome prince!"
Big boy sitting in the grass. He tried eating some, too. Not too appetizing.
Nice slug. Want to pick him up? ;)
You may not be able to make out too well but we found this and weren't sure what it was. Upon further investigation, we realized it was the beginning of a yellow jacket's nest. We even saw some larvae in there. How neat! Don't worry, though, we got completely rid of it. We had a full and very productive afternoon and topped it all off by eating up at the senior Petrey's and pickin' some music. Could there be anything better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun, productive and educational day! LOVE THE PICTURES!!! Ward is just getting too big too fast!!! He will be walking by the time I see him!! ;>)
Love to all! MeMe

Chris and Amy said...

I was just thinking how much better his face looked right before I read your comment.