Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Highland Christian Fellowship

A little over 2 1/2 years ago, a group of us here in Boone started a "new church" called Highland Christian Fellowship. We were comprised of about 10 families who simply felt led by the Lord to start a new fellowship with the intention of truly seeking Scripture and establishing a church modeled very much after the first church in the book of Acts. Let me tell you, as excited as we all were at the beginning, it has been quite a ride!
We have found that as we have looked at many of the "traditions" from our own church backgrounds (from all different denominations) and really held them up to Scripture we have found that some fit what God's Word has set forth, some have not, and some are up for debate. It has not been easy and it has forced us to look at ourselves, let our pride go, and be very real with each other. This is something you do not see everyday and I am eternally grateful for it.
I remember remarking to one of the families in our fellowship that after I had given my life to Christ in college I was a part of some really great churches and organizations where I grew spiritually and am thankful for that. However, I could never get past the feeling at each one that there was something missing, there was something more. As we have grown at Highland Christian Fellowship, I have felt myself give an inner sigh of relief and say, "This is it."
Now, please don't misunderstand me. I do not intend to or believe that we have it all figured out because we certainly do not. There are things that still do need to be addressed and some may need to change, be added, or even be deleted. However, there is a depth of relationship and a "realness" with all of us that I have not seen or experienced many places in my short life. I believe it comes from a true surrender to each other to hold one another accountable and to respectfully talk about issues, experiences, and the like even when we may not agree. And to most of all love each other exactly where we are which is what the Lord does and calls us to do.
I write this post not to give ourselves some pat on the back or "Good job" type of encouragement. If you ask anyone of us in our fellowship this is certainly not accomplished on our own strength. We are human and can get our feathers ruffled and feelings hurt just as quick as the next guy. It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit at work within each one of us that we are able to "bear with one another in love" as well as know that we are "safe" in sharing with one another. What I have described to you above I am so thankful for but not to those in our fellowship. I am thankful to the Lord who has allowed us to be real with each other and have the freedom and responsibility to hold one another accountable. This verse sums up what I feel we experience at Highland Christian Fellowship:
"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith."
Galatians 6: 2, 10

2 comments:

Dustin & Daphne Petrey said...

Well written. Nice work Fran.

Just A Work In Progress said...

Obviously a little behind, as I am just reading this, but I think this is wonderful!! I look forward to hearing how God reveals Himself in your church family!